Friday 6 June 2014

Stop the tuk tuk!

My students were getting bored to death of "Stop the Bus" as my go-to filler so I decided to think of a variant. "Stop the Helicopter" worked fairly well for a short time, which was not in fact a different game, I just used parts of speech for the categories: eg. think of a noun, verb, adjective and adverb that begin with P.

The name change didn't fool them for long, so I promised I would write a new game called "Stop the Tuk Tuk" that was going to be completely different. And it isn't, but it caused so much hilarity that it's a shame not to share it.

This is all you write on the board:

STOP THE TUK TUK

I was going to the _________________

on/in my _____________________

when I hit a ______________________


Explain that the first line is a place, second line is a form of transport, and the third line is an object, animal, or anything you can hit with a vehicle. I demo this with T: "I was going to the temple in my tuk tuk when I hit a tree". Other letters that work logically are C (cinema, car, cat), H (hospital, helicopter, house) and M (museum, motorbike, monk*). I had exhausted all the logical letters but the students were still having fun, so we ended up producing the beautiful sentences "I was going to the zoo on my zebra when I hit a zombie" and "I was going to the kitchen on my kangaroo when I hit the king".

This is more fun than Stop the Bus because it creates a surreal mini-story rather than a dry list of unconnected words. I've never had a class of adults so gleeful. It also sneakily practises past continuous with past simple for interrupted actions.

Have you put your own spin on a traditional filler? I'd love to know about it!

*actual student's suggestion, not mine. I would never advocate joking about monks in this part of the world, or kings for that matter. But if the students come up with it of their own accord, who's to stop them?

No comments:

Post a Comment